February 17, 2010

"You Make a Difference"

President Thomas S. Monson gave a talk in the April 1988 Priesthood Session of General Conference titled, "You Make a Difference".  I was in a meeting recently where his talk was used as the spiritual thought. I was very impressed with it and decided that I should share it with you. Here are some of the quotes from the talk:

 "A loving Heavenly Father has provided for our guidance models to follow, men who made a difference in their own times. I choose to call these noble souls “pioneers.” Webster defines a pioneer: “One who goes before, showing others the way to follow.”

"With faith as their moving power, they sailed upstream against the currents of doubt which surrounded them. We cannot help but be inspired in our efforts as we remember their examples.

From Nephi: “I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded” (1 Ne. 3:7).

From Samuel: “To obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams” (1 Sam. 15:22).

From Paul: “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation” (Rom. 1:16).

From Job: “I know that my redeemer liveth” (Job 19:25).

From Joseph: “I am calm as a summer’s morning; I have a conscience void of offense towards God, and towards all men” (D&C 135:4).

These noble leaders made a difference in their own times. What about today? How about me?

The world felt the quickening pace of activity when President Spencer W. Kimball declared, “We must lengthen our stride.” He stepped forward and the Church followed.

When President Ezra Taft Benson warned that we had neglected the Book of Mormon and urged every member to read and study this sacred volume, new printing presses were required to produce more and more copies of the book, as boys and girls and men and women followed the prophet in his own reading and in his inspired declaration. Every day letters arrive at the President’s office which testify to the enrichment of lives which comes from reading the Book of Mormon. They tell of families united, goals attained, and souls saved. Such is the power of a prophet."

Do you remember how you felt as we all read the Book of Mormon together? It was a power experience! 

President Monson continues,

"We do not have a monopoly on goodness. There are God-fearing men and women in all nations who influence for good those with whom they associate. I think of the founder of Scouting, even Lord Baden-Powell, and those who teach and live the principles he advocated. Who can measure the far-reaching effect on human lives of the Scout oath:

“On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.”

Impossible of calculation is the result for good when men and boys observe the Scout law: trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean and reverent."
President Monson was speaking to the men and boys but I'd like to add that women and girls are equally influenced when living by this law.  We all are better people when we live positive lives.

Then President Monson continues with his thoughts on testimonies,

"The influence of your personal testimonies is ever so far-reaching. The Lord instructed: “The testimony which ye have borne is recorded in heaven for the angels to look upon; and they rejoice over you, and your sins are forgiven you” (D&C 62:3).

He also cautioned us: “With some I am not well pleased, for they will not open their mouths, but they hide the talent which I have given unto them, because of the fear of man” (D&C 60:2).

You never know when your turn will come to comply with the admonition of Peter to “be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you” (1 Pet. 3:15).

Some years ago I had the opportunity to address a business convention in Dallas, Texas, sometimes called “the city of churches.” After the convention, I took a sightseeing bus ride about the city’s suburbs. Our driver would comment, “On the left you see the Methodist church,” or “There on the right is the Catholic cathedral.”

As we passed a beautiful red brick building situated upon a hill, the driver exclaimed, “That building is where the Mormons meet.” A lady from the rear of the bus asked, “Driver, can you tell us something more about the Mormons?” The driver steered the bus to the side of the road, turned about in his seat, and replied, “Lady, all I know about the Mormons is that they meet in that red brick building. Is there anyone on this bus who knows anything about the Mormons?”

I gazed at the expression on each person’s face for some sign of recognition, some desire to comment. I found nothing—not a sign. Then I realized the truth of the statement,

“When the time for decision arrives, the time for preparation is past.”

For the next fifteen minutes I had the privilege of sharing with others my testimony concerning The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints."

Are we prepared to share our testimonies when called upon? Are we pioneers in our own time? 


No comments: